Canada Summer Jobs
Art Instructor Assistant
Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba
Length of assignment:
2020-06-22 - 2020-07-31
Position: Art Instructor Assistant, Art Gallery of Southwestern MB (2)
Location: Brandon, MB
The Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba is a community-engaged and inclusive contemporary art gallery located in downtown Brandon, Manitoba. The AGSM is Manitoba’s largest arts organization outside of Winnipeg, and has served the broad and diverse population of Southwestern Manitoba for the past 112 years. We have a national reputation for the excellence of our culturally diverse exhibition and education programming.
This is a unique opportunity to join a regional public art gallery team working to build and expand resources and opportunities for the local community. The Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba is seeking (2) responsible and organized Art Instructor Assistants for the 2020 Children’s Summer Art Program, an enriched arts learning environment based in storytelling through painting, drawing, and sculpture, and utilizes a wide range of media from clay to digital technologies.
The Instructor Assistant works collaboratively with the Art Educator, facilitating communication and organization between the Gallery’s facilities team and the weekly studio classes. We are seeking individual(s) who share an interest in education, the arts or public programming. The candidate(s) must be passionate about children and youth and willing to help instructors expand the development of curriculum-based education programs to broaden the gallery’s educational mandate. This position requires an employee who is fluent in the English language.
The preferred candidate(s) will provide support to art instructors and to assist with evaluating gallery programs that focus on programs that help children look at art in new ways, connect art with other disciplines, and foster social and informal interaction among participants. S/he will attend to logistics for summer programs; and broaden the audience for programs at the AGSM through proactive and strategic marketing. In addition, the Art Instructor Assistant will assist with special events, as needed.
- Enrolled in full-time studies at a high school, college, university, or other educational institution and returning to full-time studies in fall 2020. The position is especially suited to students interested in pursuing studies in Museum Studies, Art History, Visual Arts, Teacher Education, Child Care, Art Therapy, or equivalent- Must be eligible to work in Canada, be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and be between the ages of 16-30 years.
- Knowledge of or willing to learn gallery/museum protocols and standards, and Multiple Learning Strategies.
- Experience assisting instructors and teachers in a classroom setting is an asset.
- Experience working with children is required.
- Interested in arts and culture - Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Reliable and available to work the full job term.
- Strong interpersonal and client relations skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to work with children, volunteers, staff, and instructors.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and resourcefulness with the ability to work independently.
- The AGSM requires a criminal reference check as a condition of employment.
3 references are required. Submit your cover letter, resume and 3 references by email to: Ms. Chris Cooper [email protected] by 5pm Tuesday, June 9, 2020
The AGSM thanks you in advance for your interest; only those candidates being considered will be contacted. The AGSM is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
The Art Instructor Assistant position will be posted on the agsm.ca website and social media accounts.
Characteristics of City/Region:
The AGSM has been proudly serving Brandon and its surrounding region for over 100 years. Founded in 1907 as the Brandon Art Club, the AGSM is Manitoba’s oldest centre for visual art and one of Canada’s first. From its beginning, the people of Brandon have seen the value of having art and creativity in their lives and their city, and we continuously work to earn that support in our mission to lead community transformation through contemporary art, education, and events.
The AGSM offers year round exhibitions in our Main and Community galleries featuring artwork from leading local, provincial, and national artists that often addresses the specifics of this place and encourages new understandings of our community. We also produce regular public events and offer a robust art education program offering tours, workshops and classes for children, teens, and adults at all skill levels.
As a not-for-profit, registered charitable organization, all of our main public programs are offered free of charge to the public, and our education programs operate on a cost-recovery basis (with 100% funded scholarships for youth facing financial barriers).
For more information about the Art Gallery of Southwestern MB, please visit http://www.agsm.ca.
For more information about arts and culture in Brandon and Manitoba, please visit: http://economicdevelopmentbrandon.com/arts-culture-recreation